Monday, October 18, 2010

Spot the Cow


I have trouble remembering what day it is, and what the date is - and thats  because I'm on holiday not for other reasons thanks! And  today - to further stretch the doubts about my senility -  I did what I had intended to do yesterday. What happened was that yesterday after I set off across town to look for the Boat Ride, I sort of got lost and then had the most urgent stomach cramps which led me to grab the nearest Autorickshaw back to the Hotel where I stayed the rest of the day. Actually I did  venture out later and got lost again but ultimately came out where I hoped I would and got back for sunset.

 That night was the last night of a nine day festival of some sort and was interrupted by the most – well to me it was an - unholy racket that most closely resembled trying to sleep by a rail crossing as a train takes 40 minutes to go past – there was the ding ding ding of some sort of Bell, a loud bashing drum and someone blowing on a bugle, a single long and often repeated hoot. It just went on and on at about 4 in the morning. So today feeling fine I set off for the boat trip out past the fabled Octopussy Lake Palace Hotel – you only get to land if youre a guest or you have a booking for dinner at the restaurant - and to land at another island in this shallow lake, where a much less sumptuos  converted summer house is an expensive hotel but you can la nd and wlak round the gardens. I took my book thinking I would lounge round on the grass under the trees in  the lake breeze but alas there were Keep Off the Grass signs everywhere and no seats except in a concrete courtyard beside the restaurant  where Coke was about 5 times its usual price and I notied NZ Cloudy Bay Suavignon Blanc for 8000 Rupees a bottle ( thats about $AU200 and it sells in Oz for around 40 I think) Needless to say I drank my water, and waitied for the ferry to return and take me back to shore.

Looking back at the City Palace

Nice Gardens but Please Dont Touch


I  had lunch at a moderately expensive restaurant outside the front gate to the City Palace - it was shady and cool in the breeze  and a nice place to watch people coming and going. A couple of french women sat nearby accompanied  by  their driver, and watching their body language I was once again glad I hadnt opted to do the Personalised Tour with own Private driver that was so temptingly offered at the beginning. I remembered a short tour I once did before, in Borneo with a driver and it really becomes maddening to have the helpful driver intruding on everything that happens, destroying any chance for privacy or personal reflection on anything when the guys in earshot, inevitably affecting every decision and impression you get about everyhwhere you go - these women looked like they wished he would disappear!  In Jodhpur 
one morning, very early when I was already at the rooftop restaurant , two women who had checked in late the night before appeared, took a few quick pics and then said goodbye as the Driver was waiting. Definitely not my cup of tea!

My View

My Rooftop Restaurant   - my window is top left

I seem to be having trouble leaving Udaipur – its very picturesque and  Dream Heaven is a nice place to stay. I am not desperate to inspect every fort and palace in Rajasthan so will linger here a little longer I think and then eventually make a fairly fast trip to Varanassi – but I still have three weeks so there’s plenty of time. Tomorrow I am going to hire a motorbike and head for the hills.  

No comments:

Post a Comment