Monday, September 27, 2010

Terror in the Bathroom

I am not going to India for the Commonwealth Games and I was a bit annoyed when I discovered they were on at the same time as I was going to be there. It wasnt the threat of terrorism that annoyed me, just the prospect of there being additional crowding, difficulties with finding acomodation and bookings on trains and things that concerned me. But in the end I decided that probably as India is already very crowded a few extra tourists attending the games wouldnt be noticed. I shall see. 
As for terrorism, I read somewhere that in the last 40 years more Americans have been killed by peanuts, and by drowning in their own bathtubs than have been killed by terrorists. I also read that the  majority of terrorist attacks do not result in deaths and less than 1% cause more than 15 deaths - or in other words one would have to be incredibly unlucky to be in the wrong place and the wrong time to be caught up in such an attack.  I think the issues are a bit different for the Athletes, who are going to be assembled together in one place and perhaps thereby become a potential target. But I am planing to be well away from Delhi when the Games are on and for me I think the risk is tiny- as is the risk of the aeroplane crashing, a fatal car crash, being attacked by a maniac with a knife , falling under a train, or any of  a multitude of calamities that can befall any person who wants to step out the front door..So I shall be careful - and stay out of the bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment